Thursday, May 5, 2011

diversity, democracy, and teaching!

Aww, looking up to ~100 students in the class I'm TA-ing, (the final exam is right now!!) how can I ever get out of this diverse society of USA(or Canada, I guess), and live again in the uniform different-is-bad society like Iran?! We have a looooooooonnnng way to go in getting used to very large differences in folks you interact with, everyday, and to be honest, that's one basis of democracy, I think. Thinking of it this way, maybe the school exchange programs do make a big difference in the future generations, in countries like Iran were you don't normally interact with people out of your wavelength...

P.S. When the age gap between students and you grow larger you suddenly realize how LOVELY teaching is! If you ever thought teaching gets boring, you got it all wrong! Teaching is not about going over the subject, it's about the students learning the subject! Every class has its own students, every year, a different group are with you.. Nothing can be more amazing than teaching each kid who want to learn, what you know... I LOVE IT! (Should convince my advisor to let me TA more...or maybe at some point maybe as a postdoc or something, I should teach a class or part of it, myself!)

P.P.S. Do you know of a voluntarily teaching job in Pittsburgh?! I'd love to teach something (within my knowledge), when I have time..

No comments:

Post a Comment