Sunday, May 15, 2011

CMU commencement 2011 with Aron Ralston

Today was CMU commencement. Another year, another speech, another bundle of inspiration!
This year the speaker was Aron Ralston, (the subject of movie "127 hours"), which as I found out just recently is also a Mechanical Eng. CMU alumni!

Gosh! He is so incredible. Very funny, and wise, and ambitious, and passionate. The bottom-line of his speech was, "If you ever dream of doing something, begin it! With boldness!", also make sure you have your wits with you -"carry a knife sharp enough to cut bones!"- "have health insurance!", and don't complain! "if you haven't gotten to drinking your own urine for survival, you're still OK". He also guaranteed adversaries in all of our lives, and ended his speech with "May your Boulders be your Blessings"

I think I'll put Between a Rock and a Hard Place in my to-read list now, after Randy Pausch's The Last Lecture...



Edit: Someone smarter than me recorded this speech. (I thought CMU will release it, in good quality which I later found out they won't.  You have to PAY for that it seems..) Anyway, listen to this!


No comments:

Post a Comment