Wednesday, May 18, 2011

About those "Super Obvious Secrets That Phil McAndrew Wishes They’d Teach In Art School"

What have you been doing on (almost) daily basis for the past few years? For me, it's been ...research... and... writing! Also having ice creams in the summer, but I guess that doesn't count. :)

Why did I bring it up? So, I was reading this interesting ... guide... http://philintheblanks.com/blog/ which is about how to become a successful cartoonist. First let me confess that as much as I'd love to be a cartoonist too(among many other great things!), I guess that's not in my future. BUT, the tutorial turns out to be applicable to anything. Like, anything creative really. 

The advice says, you have to do that thing, *everyday*! You have to love that thing to be able to do it everyday. 
You have to challenge yourself, be nice to people, have fun, respect deadlines, have breaks, ... 

I suggest you guys read it. For me, it got me thinking. I realized maybe I should *write* some more, and that maybe I should be more serious about writing. It's been what I've continuously been doing in my free time after all. I've gone to drawing class, painting class... When the mood strikes, I draw. I play keyboard, and when the mood strikes I play really nice music for myself. But the only thing that doesn't need a mood, is writing for me. Wish I could take it to the next level, somehow. *Challenge myself* with something bigger, so to speak. Some time ago I was offered a column in the opinion section of an online (small) newspaper. I declined. Ohhh stupid me! You guys do not repeat my mistake at least..
(This guy refers to YOU. YOU'RE ALL BORN TO BE STARS)

No comments:

Post a Comment